Vu Dzung focuses on banking and finance, capital markets and corporate matters. His major clients include both state-owned and international banks as well as domestic and international private equity funds active in Vietnam. Dzung has led numerous significant asset financing transactions, especially aircraft financings, and project financings, in particular infrastructure financings. Dzung has been also involved in major debt and equity capital markets transactions onshore and offshore. Additionally, multinational corporations and Vietnam-based foreign invested companies regularly seek his advice on corporate, trade and tax issues.
Dzung is listed by IFLR1000 as a Leading Lawyer in banking and finance (2011-2012-2013). He has been described as an emerging “superstar” (Legal 500, 2010-2011), one who is “increasingly prominent and consistently skilled in his work” (Chambers Asia, 2009). He has been credited for his “good business sense and legally sound practical solutions” (Chambers Asia, 2009), as well as for providing “top tier services”. Among the publications he has co-authored is the Vietnamese chapter of Banking Yearbook 2004 (International Financial Law Review, 2004). He has also written articles on banking and financial law in the Vietnam Investment Review and Vietnam Economic Times.
- Representing Vietnam Airlines Corporation as borrower counsel on a US Eximbank financing of four Boeing 777 aircraft, the first US Eximbank financing in Vietnam;
- Representing Vietnam Airlines Corporation as borrower counsel on an ECGD-COFACE-HERMES-guaranteed financing of ten Airbus 321-231 aircraft, the first combined European ECA guaranteed-financing in Vietnam;
- Representing Vietnam Airlines Corporation as borrower counsel on an ECGD-COFACE-HERMES-guaranteed financing of six ATR-72 500 aircraft;
- Representing Ha Tien 1 Cement Corporation as borrower counsel on a HERMES-buyer-credit financing for the development of Binh Phuoc Cement Plant, one of the biggest cement plants in Vietnam;
- Representing PVGas as borrower counsel on the US$133 million financing by a syndicate of onshore and offshore lenders led by the Standard Chartered Bank;
- Representing Vietcombank, BIDV and Vietinbank as lender counsel on various syndicated and single financings, in particular for power, cement and other infrastructure projects in Vietnam;.
- Representing the International Finance Corporation as lender counsel on various financings in Vietnam; and
- Representing Standard Chartered Bank and a syndicate of onshore and offshore lenders on the US$90 million financing in favor of Bank for Investment and Development of Vietnam.
Dzung regularly advises foreign banks such as Standard Chartered Bank, Citibank, Rabobank, HSBC, Societe Generale and the Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ Ltd. on the banking operations, regulatory compliance, and the foreign currency transactions, trade financing, mortgages, pledges and guarantees.
- Representing joint lead managers Barclays, Citigroup and Deutsche Bank on the US$1 billion Rule 144A/Regulation S sovereign bonds of Vietnam;
- Representing Credit Suisse as underwriter counsel in the Vingroup’s US$185 million and US$200 million bond issuances in 2012 and 2013, respectively;
- Representing Credit Suisse as underwriter counsel in the Vincom’s US$100 million convertible bond issuance in 2009;
- Representing HSBC and Standard Chartered Bank as underwriter counsel in the VND2,400 billion bond issuance for Techcombank;
- Representing Techcombank as issuer counsel in the VND3,000 billion convertible tier 2 capital bond issuance;
- Representing Indochina Vietnam Capital Holdings on the formation of a US$500 million Vietnam focused international equity fund listed on the London Stock Exchange (main board); and
- Representing Vinamilk as issuer counsel in the proposed offshore offering and listing of its shares on the SGX-ST.
- Acting as Vietnamese counsel to Warburg Pincus in the strategic partnership with Vingroup Joint Stock Company to substantially build out Vingroup’s retail property business (“Vincom Retail”). Comprised of seven assets valued at approximately US$1.1 billion, Vincom Retail is Vietnam’s largest owner and operator of shopping malls, which include world class shopping, recreational and dining facilities.
- Acting as Vietnamese counsel to the founding shareholders of Prime Group Joint Stock Co, one of the biggest ceramic producers and traders in Vietnam, with about 20 subsidiaries throughout the country, in the sale of 85% of its equity capital to Siam Cement Group;
- Acting as counsel to Marico Ltd, one of the leading Indian consumer goods and beauty-care services companies, on its acquisition of 85% stake in International Consumer Products Corporation (ICP), one of the fastest growing fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG) companies in Vietnam;
- Representing Dream Incubator in its investments in a number of companies in Vietnam such as Nutifood, Japan Vietnam Medical Instrument JSC, Kyoto Medical Science JSC and some other pharmaceutical distribution companies;
- Representing Mekong Capital in various investments in Vietnamese companies such as Mobile World, Digiworld, Venture International (Vietnam) JSC, MK Smart, etc.; and
- Representing Masan Group Corporation as seller on a number of sales of stakes in its subsidiaries to BankInvest, Mekong Capital and House Food.
- Representing SkyWest Inc. in subleasing of four Bombardier Regional Jet Model CRJ-900 aircraft to Air Mekong;
- Representing AerCap on the lease of an Airbus A320-200 aircraft and a Boeing B737-400 aircraft to Jetstar Pacific Airlines;
- Representing AirCastle on the lease of an Airbus A320-200 aircraft to Jetstar Pacific Airlines;
- Representing Babcock & Brown on the lease of an Airbus A320-200 aircraft to Jetstar Pacific Airlines;
- Representing Alafco Aviation Lease And Finance Company on the lease of an Airbus 320-214 aircraft to Vietjet Air; and
- Representing CIT Aviation Finance II (Ireland) Ltd. on the lease of an Airbus A320-200 to Vietjet Air.
- Vincom’s US$100 million convertible bond issuance. Transaction named “Debt and Equity-linked Deal of the Year” 2010 by IFLR and “Deal of the Year” 2009 by Asian Counsel;
- US$500 million listing of Indochina Capital Vietnam Holdings on the London Stock Exchange. Transaction got a honorable mention in “Deals of the Year” 2007 announced by Asian Counsel;
- ECGD-COFACE-HERMES-guaranteed financing of three Airbus 321-231 aircraft to Vietnam Airlines Corporation. Transaction named “Southeast Asia Asset/Corporate Finance Deal” 2004 by Asian Legal Business; and
- US Eximbank financing of four Boeing 777 aircraft to Vietnam Airlines Corporation. Transaction named “Best Deal of 2003” by GlobalTrade Review.
|Banking and Finance
Corporate and M&A
Project Finance and Energy
|AOTS/JIII Industrial Property Rights Training Course for Lawyers in Japan, 2003
Hanoi National University, School of Law, LL.B., 2000
Hanoi Foreign Language University, BA major in English, 1999
|Hanoi Bar Association
Inter-Pacific Bar Association