Pham Minh Thang is a YKVN counsel based in Singapore and Hanoi. He has more than ten years of experience advising clients on cross-border transactions in a broad range of matters, including M&A, capital markets, banking and finance.
Thang has been involved in all aspects of M&A transactions, including structural advice, managing the due diligence exercise, negotiation, documentation and regulatory advice in a diverse set of industries, including banking, finance, securities, real-estate, oil and gas, textile manufacturing and construction. Thang is an experienced banking lawyer who has advised all four State-owned Vietnamese banks and international financial institutions on financing transactions, derivatives and regulatory advice. He also has experience in fund formation, debt securities issue, oil & gas and international arbitration.
M&A; Private Equity
- Advising Vietnam National Oil and Gas Group (Petrovietnam) and Petrovietnam Exploration Production Corporation (PVEP) in the acquisition of upstream Vietnamese assets from Conoco Phillips;
- Advising Vietnam Oil and Gas Group (Petrovietnam) on the sale of a strategic 49% interest in its $1.5 billion 1200MW power plant in Vietnam to the international investing arm of the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGATi);
- Advising Petrovietnam in a bid for all the Vietnamese energy assets of ConocoPhillips consisting of participating interests in two oil fields and a pipeline system;
- Advising Vietnam Construction and Import – Export Joint Stock Corporation as seller on the proposed sale of a stake in Cam Pha Cement Plant to foreign investors;
- Advising Woori Investment and Securities Co., Ltd. as buyer on the purchase of a stake in Bien Viet Securities Joint Stock Company;
- Advising Vinacapital in its acquisition of Mobile Information Services Joint Stock
- Company (MIS). MIS owns, directly or through its subsidiary, hundreds of base transceiver stations throughout Vietnam;
- Advised a consortium of a Vietnamese State-owned bank and a Thai bank in an acquisition of a consumer financial company in Vietnam;
- Advising Thien Minh Group in a joint venture with Air Asia to form a new aviation company in Vietnam;
- Advising the investment company of one of the biggest Korean Chaebol in a bid to acquire and take private a listed logistic company in Vietnam;
- Advising PVEP on the bid for Chevron’s oilfield and pipeline (Block B, Block 52 and pipeline) assets in Vietnam;
- Advising a subsidiary of PVEP on the purchase the shares from Perenco Peru (Holdings) Ltd. (a subsidiary of Perenco, S.A.) in a Bahamian target company holding 95% of the participating interest in the Block 67 contract; and
- Advising Mapletree in the acquisition of a major mixed use commercial real estate project in Ho Chi Minh City.
- Advising McDonald’s on the negotiation of a franchise for Vietnam with a leading Vietnamese business partner;
- Advising Vietcombank Fund Management Company on establishment of a Vietnam real estate focused fund; and
- Represented Petrovietnam (as co-counsel with Shearman & Sterling (Emmanuel Gaillard and Yas Banifatemi)) in a US$100 million indemnity tax claim ICC arbitration in Singapore against a consortium of two independent oil contractors. This arbitration was an Asia Lawyer 2016 Finalist for Dispute of the Year: Arbitration.
- Advising the China Development Bank as lender’s counsel in connection with its financing for the Hai Duong BOT Power Plant, a 1,200MW coal-fired power plant that is located in Hai Duong Province developed by JASK Pacific Power Limited;
- Advising a syndicate of foreign banks led by Credit Suisse as lender’s counsel on a US$300 million financing for Vietnam Coal and Mineral Resources Group (Vinacomin);
- Advising Standard Chartered Bank as lender’s counsel in a US$100 million financing for BIDV;
- Advising the International Finance Corporation (IFC) as lender’s counsel in a US$50 million financing for the Vietnam International Bank (VIB);
- Advising the International Finance Corporation (IFC) as lender’s counsel in a US$50 million financing for the Vietnam Technological and Commercial Joint Stock Bank (Techcombank);
- Advising UOB as lender’s counsel in a US$20 million financing for BIDV;
- Advising PetroVietnam Exploration Production Corporation Ltd (PVEP) as borrower’s counsel on a US$430 million syndicated financing arranged by Standard Chartered Bank;
- Advising PetroVietnam Exploration Production Corporation Ltd (PVEP) as borrower’s counsel on a US$75 million financing by DBS Bank Ltd.;
- Advising Vingroup Joint Stock Company as borrower’s counsel on a US$100 million syndicated financing arranged by Credit Suisse;
- Advising BIDV as borrower’s counsel on a US$100 million financing arranged by Standard Chartered Bank;
- Advising BIDV as borrower’s counsel on a US$75 million syndicated financing arranged by Standard Chartered Bank; and
- Representing Joint Stock Commercial Bank for Foreign Trade of Vietnam, Bank for Investment and Development of Vietnam, Vietnam Joint Stock Commercial Bank for Industry and Trade and Vietnam Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development as lender counsel on the financings of a number of power, cement, real estates and other infrastructure projects in Vietnam, including among others:
- the US$ 255 million financing of the Dong Nai 3 and Dong Nai 4 Hydropower Plants;
- the US$134 million financing of the Nam Chien Hydropower Plant;
- the US$110 million financing of the Se San 3A Hydropower Plant;
- the US$ 90 million financing of the Song Tranh 2 Hydropower Plant;
- the US$224 million financing of the Dinh Vu Polyester Fiber Plant; and
- the US$68 million financing of the Viet Hoa – Kenmark Industrial Zone.
- Advising Texhong Textile Group Limited as issuer in its bond issue of US$200 million senior unsecured notes due 2016 and listing on Singapore Exchange Securities Trading Limited;
- Advising Texhong Textile Group Limited as issuer in its bond issue of US$200 million senior notes due 2019 and listing on Hong Kong Stock Exchange;
- Advising Barclays Bank PLC and HSBC as joint lead managers in the international issuance of bonds by Vietnam Joint Stock Commercial Bank for Industry and Trade (VietinBank); and
- Advising Credit Suisse as underwriter counsel in the Vincom’s US$100 million convertible bond issuance.
- Advising BIDV on derivatives transactions using ISDA Master Agreement form with each of Standard Chartered Bank Vietnam, Citibank, Credit Suisse and Nomura;
- Advising Vietinbank on derivatives transactions using ISDA Master Agreement form with each of BNP Paribas, BTMU, Crédit Agricole Corporate and Investment Bank, HSBC
- Advising Vietcombank on derivatives transactions using ISDA Master Agreement form with each of Société Générale Paris và Credit Suisse;
- Advising Military Bank on derivatives transactions using ISDA Master Agreement form with each of ANZ and HSBC; and
- Advising Maritime Bank on derivatives transactions using ISDA Master Agreement form with ANZ, HSBC and Standard Chartered Bank.
|Banking and Finance
Corporate and M&A
|University of California,
Berkeley School of Law, LL.M
Certificate in American Law (2012)
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
and Trade of the Republic
of Korea, International
Hanoi University of Law, LLB (2007)
|Hanoi Bar Association
California Bar Association