Hai Nguyen has over 10 years of experience in the practice of corporate, energy and capital markets. Hai has in-depth knowledge of the Vietnamese capital markets and energy sectors and the general legal landscape of Vietnam. Hai’s current main areas of practice are capital markets and finance transactions and other corporate transactional and advisory matters.
Hai is fluent in English. Hai previously practiced in the Corporate and International Trade departments at Mayer Brown JSM in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Representing Masan Group Corporation on its sale of USD 470 million treasury shares to SK Group;
- Representing the issuer Novaland on its issue of USD 160 million international convertible bonds and its subsequent tab issue of USD 80 million;
- Representing the issuer Vinpearl on its issue of USD 325 million international bonds exchangeable with Vingroup shares and its subsequent tab issue of USD 125 million bonds;
- Representing the issuer Hoan My Saigon Hospital on its issue of VND 2,330 billion bonds and guaranteed by CGIF; and
- Representing Standard Chartered Bank (Vietnam) Limited as the placement agent on the issue by Nam Long Investment Corporation of VND 660 billion bonds and guaranteed by GuarantCo Ltd.
- Representing SB Investment on its proposed acquisition of minority stake in a Vietnamese cashless payment platform;
- Representing Cognita as the bidder on the proposed acquisition of a Vietnamese international school chain;
- Representing one of the largest Japanese automobile manufacturers on its majority acquisition of a Vietnamese leading automobile manufacturer;
- Representing a potential buyer on its acquisition of a Vietnamese company engaging in the production of chemicals and plastics;
- Representing a Dubai-based investment firm on its acquisition of assets located in Vietnam;
- Representing a Thai buyer on its acquisition of a Vietnamese company engaging in the retail business;
- Advising a number of offshore insurance companies on the Vietnamese insurance regulations; and
- Regularly delivering FCPA/anti-corruption trainings to foreign-invested companies.
- Representing international lenders in the proposed financing to Nam Dinh 1 BOT thermal power plant;
- Advising a PRC investor on its proposed acquisition of a greenfield wind farm in Vietnam;
- Representing a Singapore-based energy firm in its acquisition of shares in the developer of 250MW solar power project in Dak Lak Province, Vietnam;
- Advising international oil companies in tax reimbursement claims, abandonment regulations and arbitration issues relating to their oil and gas exploration and production activities in Vietnam;
- Advising a Japanese conglomerate on its acquisition of a 33% equity interest in a BOT power project in Vietnam;
- Advising a Singapore-based energy firm on the land lease contract and the EPC contract for the construction of a bitumen terminal in Northern Vietnam;
- Advising offshore insurer on Vinh Tan 3 BOT thermal power project in relation to the issuance of the political risk policy; and
- Advising on and negotiating the bareboat charters, and operation and maintenance (O&M) contracts for the construction and operation of floating production storage and offloading (FPSO/FSO).
- Representing the holding company of a Vietnamese listed airlines in a USD 50 million secured loan and the USD 200 million upside option with Credit Suisse;
- Representing a leading Japanese bank in Vietnam in its provision of USD 100 million to finance a mixed-use property development in Vietnam;
- Representing ITL Holdings as the borrower in a USD 70 million refinancing provided by FIRSTRAND BANK LIMITED;
- Advising an offshore lender in a complex multi-tranche secured term loan facility to a distressed company specializing in mixed-use casino developments in Vietnam;
- Representing PetroVietnam Transportation Corporation in securing USD 150 million syndicated loan for financing the newbuilding of crude tanker fleet; and
- Advising international lenders in financing several hydropower projects in Vietnam.
- Representing leading Vietnamese seafood companies and association including Hung Vuong Corporation, Vinh Hoan, VASEP before the United States’ Department on Commerce in the antidumping order against tra/basa;
- Representing Chinese and Taiwanese steel companies before the Ministry of Industry and Trade of Vietnam in the first ever antidumping investigation in Vietnam;
- Representing Russian Agro company in the safeguard investigation in Vietnam; and
- Representing various Vietnamese steel manufacturers including Nam Kim Group, Hoa Sen Group, Ton Dong A in various antidumping/anti-subsidy investigations in Vietnam, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia and Australia.
Banking and Finance
Corporate and M&APrivate Equity
Project Finance and Energy
Diplomatic Academy of Vietnam,
University of the West of England,
Ho Chi Minh City Bar