Phuong is a senior corporate lawyer with more than seven years’ experience in cross-border and domestic transactions. His practice focuses on M&A transactions, capital markets and finance matters. He has experience in a wide range of corporate matters including securities, regulatory advice as well as transactions in a broad range of sectors including port, mining, energy, chemicals and food. His capital markets experience encompasses domestic and international bond issuances. In finance, he has been involved with bank financings including syndicated loans. Phuong is also active in international arbitrations.
Prior to joining YKVN, Phuong spent more than two years with the Ho Chi Minh City office of a “Magic Circle” firm which he joined from a top Vietnamese law firm.
Mergers and Acquisitions, Private Equity Transactions
- Advising a Singaporean investor in the acquisition of a Vietnamese solar equipment manufacturer;
- Advising a major Singaporean developer in the acquisition of an interest in a megal real estate development in Ho Chi Minh City;
- Advising a Singaporean investor in the acquisition of an industrial services zone adjoining to a port facility;
- Advising a consortium formed by GIC, Capitaland and Deutsche Bank on a potential bid for a major real estate asset in Hanoi;
- Advising an international private equity investor on its proposed acquisition of a portfolio of real estate properties in Vietnam;
- Advising international investors on regulatory advice in relation to the first casino project in Vietnam;
- Advising a Vietnamese corporation on its sale of an 80% stake in its snacks business to a world's leading snack company;
- Advising a leading global investment firm on its investment to one of Vietnam's largest private sector companies with a focus on the consumption and resources sectors;
- Advising a leading local bank in relation to a hostile takeover, together with on-going advice on Vietnamese law compliance;
- Advising international financial investors in acquiring shares of local banks;
- Advising a multinational consumer electric and home appliances company in acquiring white goods business of a global company with leading energy and environmental technology and products for commercial and consumer use in select Asian markets (including Vietnam);
- Advising a Hong Kong listed company in acquiring mining projects in Vietnam;
- Advising international investors on negotiating joint venture documents with Vietnamese companies in mining business;
- Advising a Vietnamese corporation on legal due diligence works and acquisition and development of property projects and convertible loans and bonds;
- Adiving a regional development bank on its due diligence and purchase of Certified Emission Reductions (CERs) from projects using Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) in Vietnam.
Significant Transactions (non - mergers and acquisitions)
- Advised advised a public company in settling disputes with the Chinese contractors in E&C Contract in relation to hydropower plant in central highlands of Vietnam with total disputes value of more than US$150 million;
- Advising a multinational chemicals producer on its restructuring in Vietnam;
- Advising one of the world's leading companies involved in building materials and housing equipment industry on its restructuring in Vietnam;
- Advising international lenders on the financing of the US$9 billion Nghi Son Refinery, the largest refinery project and largest project financing in Vietnam to date;
- Advising international lenders on the financing of US$1.4 billion Vinh Tan 1 BOT project;
- Advising international lenders on the first internationally project-financinced port deal at amount of US$225 million in Vietnam;
- Advising international investors in relation to project finance for Thi Vai International Terminal project;
- Advising Raiffeisen Bank International AG on a US$35 million loan secured by a pledge over listed shares in Vietnam;
- Advising a credit insurance company and a banking group on aircraft financing for a local airline;
- Advising international lenders ona US$200 million NEXI-backed facility agreement with syndicated lenders for financing Dong Nai 5 Hydro Power Project with MOF guarantee;
- Advising an international financial investor on a US$64 million NEXI facility for financing Srepok 4A Hydro Power Project with MOF guarantee;
- Advising a Vietnamese leading company in property development on US$300 million project of listing its convertible bonds in SGX;
- Advising a leading group in Vietnam and in the region with the sectors based on renewable resources on the US$90 million listed straight bonds deal in Singapore.