Nhan focuses his practice on mergers and acquisitions, private equity, debt and equity financings, and corporate advisory matters. He regularly represents strategic corporate investors, private equity firms and venture capital funds in their acquisition and financing of platform companies. He also represents banks and other businesses on a variety of strategic, financing, and transactional matters.
Nhan has extensive experience in transactions in a wide range of industries, including banking and financial services, real estate, renewable energy, manufacturing and distribution, retail, health care, media, and fintech.
Nhan is recognized as a Notable Practitioner in M&A, banking and capital markets by IFLR1000 – The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms, 2018.
Nhan was the co-author of the Vietnam Chapter of The Legal 500: Private Equity 2nd Edition Country Comparative Guide, 2020.
Nhan joined the Firm in 2010 and has been a Partner since 2016. Prior to joining YKVN, he practiced law with two international law firms in Vietnam and Singapore, including 3 years with a “Magic Circle” firm in its Ho Chi Minh City office.
Nhan graduated from the Ho Chi Minh City University of Law and obtained a Master of Laws from the University of California, Berkeley – School of Law, USA.
University of California, Berkeley – School of Law, LL.M. (2018)
University of Law, Ho Chi Minh City, LL.B. (2003)
Ho Chi Minh Bar Association
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Advised Shinhan Bank Vietnam on the acquisition of the retail business of ANZ Vietnam;
- Advised Fullerton Financial Holdings on the acquisition of a strategic stake in Mekong Development Bank;
- Advised HSBC on the acquisition of a strategic stake in Techcombank;
- Advised UOB on the acquisition of a strategic stake in Southern Bank;
- Advised Vietcombank on a bank merger & acquisition transaction involving one of its joint venture banks in Vietnam;
- Advised a global private equity firm in connection with its proposed strategic investment in a large Vietnamese commercial bank;
- Advised Temasek on the sale of its stakes in Vinamilk and Sacombank;
- Advised Mirae Asset-Naver Asia Growth Fund and EastBridge Partners on the acquisition of a significant stake in POPS in the Series C funding round.
- Advised Vinacapital Vietnam Opportunity Fund Limited on the acquisition of a majority stake in International Dairy Products JSC (IDP);
- Advised DFJ Vinacapital on its investment in Yeah1 group;
- Advised Fullerton Fund Management on the sale of a major stake in Hau Giang Pharmaceutical JSC (DHG) to Taisho Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd;
- Advised Vinacapital Vietnam Opportunity Fund Limited on the sale of a major stake in Hau Giang Pharmaceutical JSC (DHG) to Taisho Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd;
- Advised Masan Group on its US$1.1 billion sale of a strategic stake in Masan Consumer Holdings and Masan Brewery to Singha Asia Holding Pte. Ltd;
- Advised Masan Group on its US$200 million sale of an additional stake to Kohlberg Kravis Roberts (KKR);
- Advised a subsidiary of Masan Group in acquiring 10% secondary shares of Masan Consumer Corporation (MSC) from Kohlberg Kravis Roberts (KKR) as part of KKR’s divestment from MSC;
- Advised Masan Group and Masan Nutri-Science Corporation (MNS) on a US$250 million investment in MNS by Kohlberg Kravis Roberts (KKR);
- Advised Masan Group on its US$96 million acquisition of a 40% stake in Vietnam-French Cattle Feed JSC (Proconco);
- Advised Masan Group on the sale of 49% stake in Hoa Muoi Gio Company Limited (which holds a 40% stake in Vietnam-French Cattle Feed JSC (Proconco)) to TPG Growth Capital;
- Advised Ma San Group on the acquisition of 49% stake in Masan Agri from TPG Growth Capital;
- Advised Masan Group in acquiring (through its subsidiary) 100% secondary shares of Masan Resources (MSR), which is owner of the Nui Phao Mining;
- Advised ERGO International AG on the acquisition of a strategic stake in Global Insurance Company;
- Advised Mapletree, the Temasek real estate affiliate, in the acquisition of a mixed use building in central Hanoi;
- Advised Indochina Kajima Development (UK) Limited in its acquisition of several real estate projects in Ho Chi Minh City and Da Nang City;
- Advised Viet Capital Securities on the sale of a majority stake in Tan Tien Plastic Packaging and Minh Viet Packaging to Dongwon Systems Corporation;
- Advised Bitexco Power Corporation on the US$50 million investment by UOB Venture Management (a wholly-owned subsidiary of United Overseas Bank Limited) and Japan’s Orix Corporation; and
- Advised PetroVietnam Gas Corporation (PVGas) on the proposed strategic sale in PVGas (as part of the equitization of PVGas) to foreign investors.
- Advised the lenders on the US$1.5 billion financing of the Mong Duong 2 power plant project;
- Advised PetroVietnam Gas Corporation (PVGas) as borrower counsel on the US$133 million financing by a syndicate of onshore and offshore lenders led by the Standard Chartered Bank;
- Advised Masan Group as borrower counsel on the US$108 million financing by J.P. Morgan Chase & Co;
- Advised Credit Suisse on its underwriting of the US$90 million international bonds issued by Hoang Anh Gia Lai Joint Stock Company, a large group company in Vietnam;
- Advised Masan Group as issuer counsel in the proposed offshore offering and listing of shares and depository receipts on the SGX-ST;
- Advised Masan Group as issuer counsel in the proposed US$ convertible bond issuance; and
- Advised Sacombank Securities as underwriter counsel in the VND2,000 billion bond issuance for Sacombank.