Duong is a registered foreign lawyer practicing in Vietnam. At YKVN, he focuses on Corporate, M&A and Dispute Resolution matters.
He regularly advises clients, including Fortune 500 companies, Vietnamese publicly listed companies, and private equity funds, in onshore and offshore transactions.
He has worked at Kitahama Partners (Osaka, Japan), Catholic Charities Legal Assistance (Chicago, Illinois), Circuit Court of Cook County, Law Division, Chambers of the Honorable Sanjay Tailor (Chicago, Illinois), Illinois State Senator Heather Steans (Chicago, Illinois), and Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office – Second Municipal Division (Skokie, Illinois).
Northwestern University School of Law, J.D. (2014)
Northwestern Journal of International Law and Business – Note & Comment Editor (2013-2014)
Northwestern University, B.A. in Economics (2010)
Registered Foreign Lawyer in Vietnam
- Advised SaaS company on anti-trust and anti-money laundering training for third parties;
- Advised computer systems company on regulatory framework for stable coins;
- Advised international foreign exchange platform on regulations for foreign exchange activities by banks;
- Advised credit card company on data privacy and cybersecurity requirements;
- Advised The PAN Group in its inaugural issuance of domestic corporate bonds;
- Advised South Korean corporate group on pre-merger filing of offshore restructuring;
- Advised foreign lender on bank guarantees for capital contribution transfer transactions with its real estate affiliate;
- Advised Alliance Laundry Systems in its investment into the Vietnamese market and ongoing operations of its Vietnamese subsidiary; and
- Advised various multinational corporations on corporate and compliance issues, including dividend, ESOP, shareholder loans, sub-licenses for operations, etc.
- Advised Central Group in its investments in modern retail businesses of Big C Vietnam, and other investments in Vietnam;
- Advised TAEL Two Partners, a private equity fund, in its subscription of preference shares in real estate development company Refico;
- Advised foreign government owned investment company in its investment in leading Vietnamese technology company;
- Advised a Singapore-based subsidiary of Mitsubishi Corp. on joint ventures with Vietnamese real estate companies for commercial housing projects in Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi;
- Advised VinaCapital on investment and acquisition in Thai Hoa Hospital in Dong Thap Province and the warehouse sale and lease back transaction with DKSH Vietnam Co., Ltd;
- Advised Vietnam Oman Investment (VOI), the joint venture between the State General Reserve Fund of Oman and the State Capital Investment Corporation of Vietnam, in its various investments in companies such as water treatment project company AquaOne Hau Giang, infrastructure investment company Ho Chi Minh City Infrastructure Investment (CII), cacao producer in Dak Lak Province, solar power companies in Long An Province for solar power plants, and organic coffee franchise of Wayne’s Coffee;
- Advised Mirae Asset – Naver Asia Growth Fund and EastBridge Partners in their joint investment in digital media firm POPS;
- Advised Viet Capital Securities in various sales of publicly listed packaging company Tan Tien Packaging and its affiliate Minh Viet Packaging to Dongwon Systems Corporation;
- Advised Anco Family Food in the sale of primary and secondary shares to PENM Partners;
- Advised An Gia Real Estate Investment and Development Corporation in a strategic partnership with Creed Group;
- Advised selling shareholders in the sale of family-owned pharmaceutical packaging manufacturer Oai Hung to Constantia Flexibles Group;
- Advised Transcendental Human Resources Joint Stock Company (Sieu Viet) and certain shareholders in issuance of shares and sale of shares to Affirma Capital;
- Advised Singapore investor on acquisition of Vietnamese company engaging in e-commerce consulting services;
- Advised Singapore investor on acquisition of Vietnamese company engaging in eyewear retail distribution; and
- Advised ERGO in its sale of stake in insurance company Global Insurance Corporation.
- Advised former owners of Euvipharm Pharmaceuticals in disputes in Vietnam and Singapore with majority shareholder iNova Pharmaceuticals – A Valeant Company;
- Advised shareholder disputes in Singapore and Vietnam with Trung Nguyen Group over ownership of Singaporean coffee company;
- Advised U.S. shareholder in potential dispute with Vietnamese shareholder over control of a port logistics company;
- Advised Coca Cola in the resolution of labor dispute with a trade union member;
- Advised a Michigan IT consulting company in a dispute in Vietnam with former Vietnamese subcontractors;
- Advised a U.K. company on potential dispute with supplier of defective personal protective equipment;
- Advised a multinational company of labor termination procedures in Vietnam; and
- Advised international medical service provider in a termination settlement with senior medical personnel in Vietnam.
- How to Classify and Regulate Crypto in Vietnam? (2022);
- Vietnam Chapter | ESG ASIA Report 2022 | IFLR;
- Vietnam Chapter | Real Estate M&A 2022 | Lexology Getting the Deal Through;
- Vietnam Chapter | Fintech 2022 | Lexology Getting the Deal Through;
- Foreign Court Judgments and Arbitral Awards in Vietnam (2021);
- “Big” MAC clause in Vietnam – The Covid-19 Make-over in M&A Deals (2020).