K. MINH DANG
K. Minh Dang is the Senior Partner of YKVN and has more than 30 years of experience in a wide variety of international transactions including acquisitions, joint ventures, public and private financings and restructurings. He regularly advises multinational companies investing in Asia and Asian companies investing internationally.
Minh has been recognized by Chambers Asia 2008, 2010, 2011 and 2012 as a top tier leading Vietnam overseas counsel, "an enormously skilled lawyer" who is "one of the most popular specialists outside of the country". He is also widely recognized in the region as a leading lawyer by regional and international publications including in the Asia Pacific Legal 500 - banking & finance (2007-2008), corporate M&A (2008 - 2009), Asialaw Leading Lawyers - mergers & acquisitions (2007 & 2008) as well as China Law & Practice, private equity & venture capital (2008).
Minh is fluent in English, French and Vietnamese. Minh previously headed the Southeast Asia corporate practice of DLA Piper (2007-2010) and, prior to joining DLA Piper, the Vietnam practice of White & Case (1993-2005). Minh was with White & Case from 1986 to 2005, as an associate and a partner (from 1990), in Los Angeles, Singapore, Bangkok, Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City.
Mergers & Acquisitions, Private Equity Transactions
- Advising a Vietnamese pharmaceutical company in restructuring its capital in connection with a new private equity investment being made by a leading Southeast Asian buyout fund.
- Advising Petrovietnam Exploration and Production Corporation in the acquisition of a majority interest in an offshore holding company whose principal assets consist of participating interests in two exploration blocks in Peru.
- Advising Petrovietnam in a bid for all of the Vietnamese energy assets of ConocoPhillips consisting of participating interests in two oil fields and a pipeline system.
- Advising Petrovietnam Exploration and Production Corporation in the acquisition of an energy asset in Peru;
- Advising a Vietcombank in the sale of its ownership interest in a joint venture bank to Shinhan Bank;
- Advising Mapletree, the Temasek real estate affiliate, in the acquisition of a mixed use building in central Hanoi;
- Advised MOL Global, an affiliate of the Berjaya group of companies, in the acquisition of Friendster.com, a California-based social networking site;
- Advising regional real estate developers on bids for major real estate development projects in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam;
- Advising a major Southeast Asian private equity investor in a bid to acquire a strategic stake in a major Vietnamese financial institution;
- Advising a major Southeast Asian private equity investor in the acquisition of a strategic stake in a commercial bank in Vietnam;
- Advised PetroVietnam on a potential takeover bid for Nations Energy, a Canadian company with US$2 billion in Kazakh oil and gas assets;
- Advised Proton Holdings Bhd, the Malaysian national car manufacturer, in its Euro 100 million acquisition of a controlling stake in an Italian motorcycle manufacturer under controlled administration, MV Agusta Motor SpA (2004-2005) and in the attempted acquisition of Indian Motorcycle based in Gilroy, California (2003);
- Advised Composite Technology Research Malaysia (CTRM) in several rounds of financing and the restructuring, buy-out and recapitalization of an Oregon based aircraft manufacturer, The Lancair Company (2000-2003) ;
- Advised private equity funds (including Princes Gate, a Morgan Stanley PE fund, Clearwater Capital, D.B. Zwirn and Indochina Land Holdings) in Vietnamese investments; and
- Advised Singapore and Malaysian investors in exiting from, or restructuring, venture investments in US companies including Eagle Aircraft North America (Kansas City, Kansas), Composite Rotor, Inc. (Redwood City, California), The Lancair Company (Bend, Oregon) and SME-Aero, Inc. (Tallahassee, Florida).
Significant Vietnam Transactions (non - mergers and acquisitions)
- Advising Vietcombank Fund Management Company on establishment of a Vietnam real estate focused fund;
- Advising Vietcombank Fund Management Company on establishment of a Vietnam infrastructure fund to be managed by a joint venture manager formed with Darby;
- Advising two sovereign wealth funds and an Asian and South African joint venture asset management company on the formation of a Vietnam focused infrastructure fund and infrastructure projects;
- Advising Indochina Capital on the formation of a Vietnam / Southeast Asia focused sustainable infrastructure fund;
- Advising Indochina Capital on the formation of ILH3, its third Vietnam focused real estate fund;
- Advising Hanesbrands, an NYSE listed US based manufacturer, on its Vietnam multiple facility expansion program through greenfield plants and acquisitions;
- Advising Indochina Capital Holdings, first Vietnam focused equity fund to be listed on a the LSE (the IPO raised US$500 million);
- Advising ILH2, first Vietnam real estate focused fund using a Cayman Islands GP/LP structure (the fund raised US$260 million);
- Advising a top Vietnam based real estate developer on the acquisition and development of an office, residential, hotel and theme park complex covering 46,15 hectares in Ho Chi Minh City;
- Advising a pan-Asian real estate fund on a residential development in Ho Chi Minh City;
- Advising a top Singapore developer on an integrated residential and clean industrial development in Ho Chi Minh City;
- Advised the Government of Vietnam on the London Club Restructuring of Vietnam's commercial debts and Vietnam's first international bond issuance;
- Advised Vietnam Airlines in European ECA supported Airbus financings (Asian Legal Business award for Southeast Asia Corporate Finance Deal of 2004); and
- Advised Vietnam Airlines Boeing financing (Global Trade Review award for Best Deals of 2003).
- Clients highlight his "strong negotiation strategy and excellent communication skills," and also point out that he is "very knowledgeable yet very humble and wonderful to work with." (Chambers Asia 2011).
- Minh is a Vietnam country specialist and one of the most popular specialists outside of the jurisdiction. He continues to "give great Vietnam advice" and peers agree that "he is certainly an expert on Vietnam" (Chambers Asia 2008).
- Vietnam Airlines ECA – supported Airbus Financing. Transaction named Southeast Asia Asset/Corporate Finance Deal of 2004 by Asian Legal Business;
- Thu Duc BOT Water Treatment Plant – White & Case team led by Minh named Legal Adviser of the Year for Water for 2002 by Infrastructure Journal; transaction named Asia-Pacific Water Deal of the Year 2001 by Project Finance; and
- Vietnam London Club Restructuring. Vietnam's counsel (White & Case team led by Minh) named 1998 Asia Restructuring Law Firm of the Year by International Financial Law Review (also citing a Thai transaction).