K. Minh Dang is the senior partner of YKVN and has more than 30 years of experience in a wide variety of international transactions including acquisitions, joint ventures, public and private financings and restructurings. He regularly advises international companies and funds investing in Vietnam and Vietnamese companies investing internationally. Minh has been active in Vietnam oil and gas matters since the mid-90’s.
Minh also heads up YKVN’s international arbitration practice. He advised PetroVietnam in a successful Singapore arbitration initiated by a consortium of three international oil companies. Minh focuses on complex projects and disputes where YKVN is lead counsel coordinating with other firms brought in by YKVN as co-counsel.
Minh has been recognized by Chambers Asia and the Asia Pacific Legal 500 for many years. Chambers 2016 calls him “a very sharp lawyer with great strategic visions.” Chambers 2015 refers to expertise as “spanning the full gamut of corporate issues including joint ventures, restructuring and M&A.” The Asia Pacific Legal 500 2015 describes Minh as “a very experienced deal lawyer, who combines excellent market knowledge in Vietnam and Southeast Asia with a top tier US law firm approach to quality and client services”.
Minh is fluent in English, French and Vietnamese. Minh previously headed the Southeast Asia corporate practice of DLA Piper (2007 to 2010) and, prior to joining DLA Piper, the Vietnam practice of White & Case (1993 to 2005).
Mergers & Acquisitions, Private Equity Transactions
- Advised GIC in an US$800 million pre-IPO transaction in Vinhomes, a leading Vietnamese real estate developer.
- Advised GIC in pre-IPO transactions involving Vietnamese issuers.
- Advised the Vietnamese shareholders of Euvipharm JSC in the sale of the company to a third party as a part of the settlement of an SIAC arbitration with Valeant, a global pharmaceutical company and the controlling shareholder of Euvipharm.
- Advised Petrovietnam in the acquisition of all of Chevron’s Vietnamese energy assets through the acquisition of three offshore holding companies.
- Advised Petrovietnam Exploration and Production Corporation in two acquisitions in Latin America.
- Advised Vietcombank in the sale of its ownership interest in a joint venture bank to the foreign partner.
- Advised on the buyout, restructuring and recapitalization of OPV, a Vietnamese pharmaceutical business.
- Advised MOL Global, an affiliate of the Berjaya group of companies, in the acquisition of Friendster.com, a California-based social networking site.
- Advised PetroVietnam on a potential takeover bid for Nations Energy, a Canadian company with US$2 billion in Kazakh oil and gas assets.
- Advised the Government of Vietnam on the London Club Restructuring of Vietnam’s commercial debts and Vietnam’s first international bond issuance.
Real Estate Transactions
- Advised Soil Build, a Singapore investor, and CT Group, a Vietnamese real estate developer in the establishment of a joint venture to develop a mixed-use real estate project.
- Advised Keppel Land in the acquisition of a strategic stake in a mega real estate development project in Ho Chi Minh City.
- Advised a Singaporean investor in the acquisition of an industrial services zone adjoining to a port facility.
- Advised a consortium formed by GIC, Capitaland and Deutsche Bank in the acquisition of Keangnam Tower in Hanoi through the acquisition of secured Korean bank debt;
- Advised Mapletree in the acquisition of Centre Point, a mixed-used building in Ho HCi Minh City.
- Advised Mapletree in the acquisition of Pacific Place, a mixed-use building in central Hanoi.
- Advised Mapletree in the acquisition of Vivo City, a major mixed-use commercial real estate project in Ho Chi Minh City.
- Represented a Korean real estate investment fund in an SIAC arbitration relating to a mixed-use real estate project in Ho HCi Minh City.
- Represented the Vietnamese shareholders of Euvipharm JSC, a Vietnamese pharmaceutical manufacturer they had sold a controlling interest in to Valeant, a global pharmaceutical manufacturer, in an SIAC arbitration and related Vietnamese litigation arising from the sale.
- Represented Vinh-Son Song Hinh JSC (as co-counsel with Drew & Napier (Jimmy Yim SC)) in a US$200 million VIAC arbitration against a consortium of Chinese conractors arising from the construction of the Thuong Kontum hydro-project.
- Represented Petrovietnam (as co-counsel with Shearman & Sterling (Emmanuel Gaillard and Yas Banifatemi)) in a US$100 million indemnity tax claim ICC arbitration in Singapore against a consortium of two independent oil contractors. This arbitration was an Asia Lawyer 2016 Finalist for Dispute of the Year: Arbitration.
- Clients highlight his “strong negotiation strategy and excellent communication skills,” and also point out that he is “very knowledgeable yet very humble and wonderful to work with.” (Chambers Asia 2011).
- Minh is a Vietnam country specialist and one of the most popular specialists outside of the jurisdiction. He continues to “give great Vietnam advice” and peers agree that “he is certainly an expert on Vietnam” (Chambers Asia 2008).
- Vietnam Airlines ECA – supported Airbus Financing. Transaction named Southeast Asia Asset/Corporate Finance Deal of 2004 by Asian Legal Business;
- Thu Duc BOT Water Treatment Plant – White & Case team led by Minh named Legal Adviser of the Year for Water for 2002 by Infrastructure Journal; transaction named Asia-Pacific Water Deal of the Year 2001 by Project Finance; and
- Vietnam London Club Restructuring. Vietnam’s counsel (White & Case team led by Minh) named 1998 Asia Restructuring Law Firm of the Year by International Financial Law Review (also citing a Thai transaction).
|Corporate and M&A|
|University of California,|
Berkeley, Boalt Hall School of
Law, JD (1981)
University of California at Los
Angeles, BA (1978)
California Bar Association
Registered Foreign Lawyer in Singapore