John Davis focuses on banking, capital markets and corporate matters. His clients include multilaterals, international investment banks, Vietnamese state-owned and private banks as well as foreign investors in a variety of fields including energy and telecommunications. He has been involved in infrastructure projects for most of the years that he has practiced in Vietnam and throughout the region since 1995. As Vietnam’s capital markets have developed, he has been involved in major debt, equity and derivative transactions. In addition to his transactional practice, Mr. Davis is active as a consultant to governments in the region. He advises them on the reform of laws affecting commerce and on regulatory issues, especially those related to competition law.
Mr. Davis is described as a “commercially minded lawyer” and “professionally capable, meticulous and ethical” (Legal 500, 2009-2010 and 2008-2009, respectively) Sources are said to admire his “nuanced and informed approach”. (Chambers Asia, 2009)
Banking, Finance and Capital Markets
- Represented two international investment banks as underwriters and managers of a $110 million VND denominated-bond issued by a Vietnamese private bank, 2009;
- Represented a Vietnamese bank in negotiating credit-linked derivatives issued by an international commercial bank, 2009;
- Advised an international investment bank on derivative transactions generally and in specific cases with Vietnamese counterparties, 2008-2009;
- Represented a major Vietnamese private bank in a convertible bond rights issue to raise Tier 2 capital, 2010;
- Advised the three leading Vietnamese state-owned commercial banks, Vietcombank, Vietinbank and BIDV, on their equitizations, 2006-present.
- Advised a leading multinational service provider on structuring of its local partners’ ownership and their relationship to the firm’s regional and international holding companies, 2008-2009
- Member of the IFC team advising the Ministry of Investment & Trade on development and negotiation of the Nghi Son II Thermal Power Project, 2006-2011;
- Advised Tokyo Electric Power (TEPCO) and the Asian Development Bank on interconnection of the electrical grids of Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia, 2009.
|Banking and Finance
Corporate and Corporate Governance
Infrastructure / PPP and Regulatory
Project Finance and Energy
|University of Wisconsin-Madison,
|Ministry of Justice of Vietnam (Foreign Lawyer)
Senior Courts of England and Wales (Solicitor)
Supreme Court of Wisconsin
U.S. Court of Appeals Seventh Circuit
U.S. District Court Western District of Wisconsin
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Tax Court