Hyun is an experienced N.Y. qualified lawyer with over 22 years of experience. He joined Clifford Chance in Hong Kong in 2009 and was the Founding and Managing Partner of Clifford Chance Seoul office from 2012 until March 2019.
He also has worked at Skadden Arps in New York and Davis Polk & Wardwell in Tokyo and Hong Kong.
Hyun specializes in capital markets, corporate finance and M&A, with extensive experience in advising Asian corporate clients on a wide range of financings and cross border M&As.
- Saudi Public Investment Fund, the investment arm of the Saudi Government, in its acquisition of a 38% stake consisting of new and existing shares in POSCO Engineering & Construction Co., Ltd. for approximately US$1.1 billion;
- The Carlyle Group on its acquisition of ADT CAPS Co., Ltd. and other subsidiaries of Tyco Far East Holdings Ltd. for US$1.93 billion. “the largest private equity buyout deal in U.S dollar value in Korea since 2008”;
- Asset Management Co., Ltd. in its acquisition of:
– a 34% stake in Cardinal Gas Service LLC from Total E&P USA, Inc., a midstream company operating in the Utica formation, and EV Energy Partners, L.P.; and
– 33 1/3% interest in the Luna Energy Facility, a net nominal 570 MW natural gas-fired combined-cycle electric generation facility located in Luna County, New Mexico, from Freeport-McMoRan Inc.
- Daelim Industrial Co., Ltd. in its acquisition, jointly with KDB Infrastructure Asset Management Co. Ltd., of a 41.3% stake in Millmerran Power Plant, a 851 MW coalfired power plant in Queensland, Australia;
- Samsung Asset Management on its joint venture with China Construction Bank, in establishing an asset management company in the PRC;
- Advanced Petrochemical Company, a Saudi joint stock company, in connection with a joint venture with SK Gas Co., Ltd. for the production of propylene in Korea, valued at US$1 billion; and
- Hanwha Chemical on the asset purchase agreement to acquire Q-Cells SE’s headquarters in Germany, its production facilities in Germany and Malaysia and its sales offices in the US, Australia and Japan from Q-Cells’ insolvency administrator.
- Japan Bank for International Cooperation and Export-Import Bank of Korea in connection with the 1,200MW Nghi Son 2 coal-fired power project in Vietnam owned by two shareholders of Marubeni Corporation and Korea Electric Power Corporation;
- The Export-Import Bank of Korea and senior lenders in connection with a restructuring of a Shahin-owned SPC engaged in deep water drilling. The drilling rig was built by Samsung Heavy Co., Ltd. with KEXIM led financing; and
- Korea South-East Power Co., Ltd., Daelim Industrial Co., Ltd. and Kyeryong Construction Industrial Co., Ltd. as a consortium in connection with Trishuli Hydropower Project in Nepal.
- IPOs on London Stock Exchange, NYSE, Nasdaq and Hong Kong Stock Exchange;
- Issuance of convertible bond, exchangeable bond, high-yield bonds, regulatory capital for Banks and Insurance Companies (Regulation 144A / Regulation S); and
- SEC registered Shelf registration statements and take-downs for Korea Development Bank and Korea Exim Bank.
Mergers and Acquisitions
Over 100 capital markets deals representing Issuers and Underwriters while based in N.Y., Hong Kong, Tokyo and Seoul.
Has advised on:
|Mergers and Acquisition|
|Bachelor of Business Administration, Yonsei University (1993)|
LL.B., Osgoode Hall Law School, York University (1997)
|New York State Bar Association (1998)|
Ontario Bar Association of Canada (1997/ non-active)
Korean Commercial Arbitration Board – Arbitrator