Dr. Luu Tien Dzung, formerly a Law Clerk for the Chief Justice of the Supreme People’s Court of Vietnam, is a chair of YKVN’s litigation practice, and also the Chairman of the Committee for International Co-operation of the Vietnam Bar Federation, and an Arbitrator ò the Vietnam International Arbitration Center (VIAC).
Dr. Dzung has more than 20 years of experience in negotiating and settling complex commercial and business disputes. Before becoming a partner at YKVN Lawyers, Dr. Dzung had assisted the Chief Justice in reviewing many complex and lengthened commercial and business disputes under the cassation procedure.
At YKVN, Dr. Dzung has represented/advised state-owned, local and foreign corporations in negotiating and handling multi-million-dollar foreign trade and contractual disputes at Vietnamese Courts, as well as under VIAC, Singapore, London, ICC and US GAFTA arbitration procedures. Dr. Dzung also regularly advises multinational companies on investment, international trade, M&A, and franchising.
Dr. Dzung also acts as Chairman of a number of VIAC arbitral tribunals, adjudicating many complex disputes. In addition, Dr. Dzung was recently appointed by the ICC International Court of Arbitration an arbitrator for adjudication of a dispute between a foreign contractor and the Ministry of Transport of Vietnam.
Dr. Dzung has been recognized by Chambers Asia 2011, 2012 and 2013 as a first tier “experienced and talented litigator” in dispute resolution. He was also granted an Award for Most Representative Case of the year of 2012 by Vietnam Ministry of Justice Law Newspaper for a dispute he represented before the Supreme People’s Court of Vietnam.
Dr. Dzung has been a scholar in several prominent programs, including the Fulbright, Stanford University’s Draper Hills, and the United Nations Development Programme. He is also the author of the book “Judicial Independence for the Rule of Law in Vietnam” and numerous articles on prestigious magazines such as the Communist Review, National Assembly Legislative Research Journal, State and Law Journal, and the People’s Court Magazine.
- Acted as the Chairman of the arbitral tribunals at the Vietnam International Arbitration Centre in adjudicating many complex disputes;
- Appointed by ICC Court of Arbitration as a member of an arbitral tribunal;
- Acted as a witness on Vietnamese law before the High Court of Singapore and Singapore International Arbitration Centre;
- Pre-litigation advice to a commercial joint stock bank in a dispute over a US $100 million bank guarantee;
- Advised Vietnam Machinery Installation Corporation (LILAMA) in a claim against the largest state-owned bank in Russia (VTB Bank) regarding enforcement of VTB Bank’s multi-million dollar first demand guarantee;
- Represented a former Minister of Vietnam in a criminal economic case;
- Advised and represented a number of state-owned corporations including the Vietnam National Oil and Gas Group and PetroVietnam Exploration Production Corporation in a number of investment transactions and in the negotiation and settlement of a number of domestic and international disputes;
- Together with a Nigerian firm, acted for the Vietcombank Hai Phong Branch in a Admiralty in Rem case before Lagos High Court of Nigeria;
- Represented a leading Danish construction company in the negotiation and settlement of a dispute with a Vietnamese subcontractor with the Project Management of the People’s Committee of a large centrally-run city in Vietnam;
- Advised a foreign investment company in the negotiation and settlement of more than US $40 million following VIAC arbitration procedures in a dispute over a FIDIC construction contract in relation to a complex of super luxury hotels and apartments;
- Represented Ben Kien Shipbuilding Industry Company in the successful negotiation and settlement of disputes with the Dutch purchaser of the vessel and the sub-contractor over a shipbuilding contract of over €13 million following London arbitration procedures;
- Represented Bachy Soletanche Vietnam before the Supreme People’s Court of Vietnam in a dispute over a FIDIC contract;
- Co-represented/advised Vietnamese state-owned and private corporations in the settlement of multi-million-dollar commercial, construction, and maritime disputes following SIAC, UNCITRAL, GAFTA 125, VIAC arbitration procedures or foreign court procedures;
- Advised a foreign insurance company in settling an insurance dispute over an oil refinery construction contract;
- Advised and/or represented Standard Chartered Bank, the Joint Stock Commercial Bank for Foreign Trade of Vietnam and HSBC in the settlement of credit and financial disputes;
- Advised McDonald’s, Burger King, Carter, Illy Coffee, Eurocar, Hachette Filipachi Presse, Sandlers Systems, and a number of other international investors in their franchise transactions in Vietnam;
- Advised a number of foreign investors and FDI enterprises in Vietnam, such as Intel, Metro Cash, Verizon, P&G, Amtek, Teva Pharmaceutical Investment, Visa, Reuters, Dow Jones, Sheraton, Hilton Corporations, Hanesbrands, Constella Futures, and Ernst & Young on a number of legal issues on business law and labour disputes.
- Fulbright Scholarship from the U.S. Department of State (1998);
- Carroll Sample Award at the University of Iowa Law School (2000);
- Development Policy Research Scholarship awarded by the Deputy Secretary General of the United Nations (2002);
- Recognition Medal for the Development of Vietnam Lawyers Association (2006);
- Draper Hills Fellowship at Stanford University (2008).
|Ph.D. in Law, Institute of State and Law,
Graduate Academy of Social Sciences, Hanoi, 2011
Draper Hills Summer Fellow,
LL.M, University of Iowa
LL.B, Kubansky State University
|Hanoi Bar Association
Legal Club for Enterprise Ministry of
Vietnam Bar Federation (Member of the
Vietnam International Arbitration
Visiting Lecturer Ho Chi Minh City