Nguyen is one of the very few lawyers in Vietnam with dual U.S. and Vietnamese qualification, and a key member of the YKVN’s litigation/arbitration practice. Prior to joining YKVN, Nguyen has worked for the Washington State Court of Appeals and private law firms, including Perkins Coie LLP and Patterson Buchanan Fobes & Leitch, Inc., P.S., specializing in dispute resolution. In 2012, Nguyen was seconded to Allen & Gledhill’s arbitration practice in Singapore for 6 months.
At YKVN, Nguyen specializes in construction disputes, international trade disputes, banking disputes, and oil & gas contract disputes. In these fields, he regularly represents state-owned group and entities, multi-national enterprises, and private companies. Nguyen is experienced in litigation and arbitration in various forum including US Courts, Vietnamese Courts, as well as arbitration centers such as VIAC, SIAC, ICC, UNCITRAL and GAFTA.
Other than dispute resolution, Nguyen also advises state-owned entities and multi-national enterprises on investment, general corporate, international trade and M&A.
Dispute Resolution and Litigation
- Advised the Ministry of Labor Invalids and Social Affairs in a US civil suit.
- Acted for PVEP in a multi-million dollar SIAC arbitration involving a defaulting a foreign oil exploration contractor.
- Advised PVEP on a potential arbitration claim under an Iran oil exploration contract.
- Advised PVEP on a dispute with the tax authority involving tax on condensate.
- Advised subsidiaries of PVEP on a real estate dispute.
- Acted for and won full dismissal of trial for a leading Danish construction company in a bridge construction dispute (over €4 million in value).
- Acted for and won an appellate case for Bachy Soletanche Vietnam before the Supreme People’s Court of Vietnam in a dispute over a FIDIC contract.
- Acted for and successfully assisted Vietnam Machinery Installation Corporation (LILAMA) in enforcing a US$4.2 million bank guarantee against VTB Bank (one of the largest state-owned banks in Russia).
- Acted for and won full dismissal for a Vietnamese rice exporter in a GAFTA arbitration (Singapore) initiated by a foreign agriculture trading company.
- Acted for and successfully assisted Ben Kien Shipbuilding Industry Company in a negotiation and settlement of disputes over a €13 million shipbuilding contract following London arbitration procedures.
- Together with a Nigerian firm, acted for a Vietnamese commercial bank in ship arrest and litigation before the High Court of Lagos, Nigeria.
- Acted for a Vietnamese steel company in settling disputes in a foreign trade contract on purchase of scrap metal under Singapore arbitration procedure.
- Acted for an Arabic trading company in the resolution of the two scrap metal trading contracts under VIAC arbitration procedure.
M&A, Foreign Investment and Corporate Matters
- Advised TNK-BP in the purchase of shares from BP EOC in Lot No. 06.1, Nam Con Son Project.
- Advised Qatar Petroleum International in acquiring 25% ownership in Long Son Oil Refinery Company.
- Advised Hanesbrands on corporate matters and lease agreements in Vietnam.
- Advised Metro Cash & Carry, P&G and a number of other foreign and local investors on investment and corporate governance matters in Vietnam.
|Juris Doctor, cum laude
Gonzaga University School of Law
Washington, 2007Master of Business Administration,
cum laude, Gonzaga University
School of Business
Washington, 2003B.A. in Marketing and Finance
Gonzaga University School of Business
|Honorable James A. Wynn
U.S. Court of Appeals
for the Fourth Circuit
2011–2012 TermHonorable Graham C. Mullen
U.S. District Court
for the Western District of North Carolina
|American Bar Association
Hanoi Bar Association
Vietnam Bar Federation
Washington State Bar Association