Diep Hoai Nam is the head of YKVN’s Hanoi office and a specialist in M&A and corporate restructuring. She has guided the team on key transactions in the steel mill, oil and gas and pharmaceutical industries, as well as the sale of strategic stakes in large, state-owned companies. In addition, Nam regularly advises multinationals and foreign-invested companies on corporate, trade and tax issues.
“Recommended wholeheartedly” by peers (Chambers Asia, 2009), Nam has been commended for being “professionally capable, meticulous and ethical” (Legal 500, 2008-2009). Rooted in her “client focus and smart negotiation skills” (Chambers Asia, 2009), Nam “provides excellent, timely legal advice” and “really drives the case along” (Chambers Asia, 2008). She has been consistently named as a leading lawyer on corporate transactions in International Financial Law Review, Chambers Asia and AP 500, and has authored numerous publications on the legal environment in Vietnam.
Corporate M&A Restructuring
- Advised Vietnam National Oil and Gas Group (PVN) and PetroVietnam Exploration Production Corporation (PVEP) in the acquisition of upstream Vietnamese assets from Conoco Phillips;
- Advised Vietnam National Oil and Gas Group (PVN) in the structure of Vung Ang I Thermal Power Plant Project and establishment of a joint venture with a Thailand state-owned electricity company to own and operate Vung Ang I Thermal Power Plant Project;
- Advising PVI Holdings (PVI) on the transaction of establishment of a life insurance joint venture company with Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada;
- Advised TNK-BP, a Russian company, in the acquisition of assets of BP in Vietnam;
- Advised Qatar Petroleum International Limited in the acquisition of a major share in a joint venture oil refinery complex in the south of Vietnam;
- Advised Nui Phao Mining Company in the due diligence exercise and acquisition of the biggest wolfram ore mining of Vietnam with the counter party being an investment fund of Dragon Capital.
- Advised PVI Holdings (PVI) in the selection of strategic sales consulting organization;
- Advised PVI Holdings (PVI) on the sale of strategic stake in PVI to foreign investors;
- Advised PetroVietnam Finance Corporation (PVFC) in the transaction of PVFC’s listing on the Singapore Stock Exchange;
- Advised Vinaconex in the sale of its Cam Pha cement project to strategic foreign investors;
- Acted as local counsel to multi-national companies operating in Vietnam: Procter & Gamble, Hanesbrands, IBM, Metro Cash & Carry and many more.
- Advised Vietnam Association of Seafood Exporters & Producers on the US anti-dumping proceedings aimed at imposing anti-dumping duties on imports of catfish fillets from Vietnam.
- Represented a U.S. oil company in a commercial dispute arising out of a distribution contract with a Vietnamese company.
- Advised People’s Committee of Hanoi regarding the build and transfer contract (BT contract) with Gamuda Berhard on the construction of a US$ 300 million sewage treatment plant in Hanoi.
Bank Finance/ Project Finance
- Advising MOIT in the Nghi Son II BOT Power Project;
- Advised Asian Development Bank, ANZ Bank, Credit Lyonnais, Fortis Bank and Export-Import Bank of Malaysia Berhad in the financing of the Thu Duc BOT Water Treatment Plant.
|Corporate and M&A
Project Finance and Energy
University of Sussex,
Hanoi National University,
Hanoi Bar Association
Inter-Pacific Bar Association